Location Hpa-An, Myanmar
Start Date Mar - May 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 11 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
Our partner, the Veranda Youth Community Café is a social business generating resources for community activities in Hpa An. The business aims to be a hub and space for youth, civil society, expat, activists, local artists, foreign travelers and volunteers, who would like to connect with local groups. Before they can do any of these things though, they need to ensure they are a sustainable business that will be able to compete in the increasingly internationally competitive business space in Hpa An.
As the Restaurant Development Advisor, you will work with young staff of Veranda Youth Community Café to enhance their business strategy and marketing skills which will create an opportunity for their career development. You will work with the staff to develop a marketing strategy based on an analysis of their finances and support them to improve and expand their current daily services to establish dependable income generation during tourist offseason. You will support the management of the café to develop its current operations.
As Cuso International is expanding the support around the businesses in tourism, there are possibilities your support will be shared to contribute more than one restaurant in within the similar work scope as below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review and compare the tourist and local demand (off and on seasons) and analyze the potential for growth to develop a marketing and business strategy for these seasonal fluctuations.
- Carry out Market analysis is to understand the potential market and work on product innovation and business strategy
- Work closely with management and working team for building the relevant skill on business development and operational management
- Design Marketing tools and a website based on the marketing strategy developed including social media Strategies
- Revise the organizational development needs together with the team
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Relevant diploma or degree preferred
Essential Professional Background:
- 3-5 years working experience with Social Enterprise or business development
- Analysis and marketing strategy development
- Social media marketing skills
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months