Location Tarapoto, Peru
Start Date Apr - Jun 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 11 Months
Language Requirements English, Spanish
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
We are looking for a volunteer that is passionate about community-based development, tourism and local agriculture! Help us support the ALLIMA CACAO cooperative and the Chazuta community become the next tourism destination in the region!
Green Amazon Association (Association of Agricultural Cooperatives of the Peruvian Amazon - Verde Amazónico (AVA) is a second level organization that groups that represents the cocoa producers of the San Martín region. Their mission is to represent and defend the partner organizations and provide them with specialized strategic services, contributing to the integral well-being of the cooperative families while also ensuring the sustainable development of rural communities and the agro-forestry chains of the San Martín region.
One of the cooperative members with potential for growth and diversification of income sources is the cooperative called ALLIMA CACAO that was created to eradicate the illicit cultivation of coca. This cooperative is located in the district of Chazula which is an area with great tourism potential and strong possibilities for alternative use of land.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review the strategic plan of the partner organization and attend strategic meetings with the staff to make suggestions.
- Research the local legislation regarding the development of tourism at the local and national levels.
- Design a strategic plan to develop a community-based tourism project with a gender approach based on the needs of the ALLIMA CACAO cooperative.
- Support in the creation of projects with clear sets of intervention strategies to develop a new tourism network.
- Facilitate capacity building workshops related to community-based tourism services.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University degree in Tourism, Economy, International Development, Sustainable Community Development and/or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- Planning tourism programs or projects - eco-friendly sustainable tourism.
- High level of sensitivity to interact with indigenous populations.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months